One DBA's Ongoing Search for Clarity in the Middle of Nowhere


*or*

Yet Another Andy Writing About SQL Server

Thursday, November 17, 2022

PASS Summit 2022 - Day 1 In Pictures

Other PASS Summit 2022 Days - Pre-Cons |  Day 2 | Day 3

--

The first "full" day of PASS 2022 kicked off with a bang when Rohan Kumar (@RohanKData) stepped out on the keynote stage to announce SQL Server 2022 was GA (generally available) and then the day continued full throttle to the end of the day when I won a free copy of a book at the Amazon booth written by one my favorite SQLPeople Kevin Kline (@kekline).

Along the way we had an amazing Microsoft Keynote including a fun competition between Anna Hoffman (@AnalyticAnna) and Bob Ward (@bobwardms), and another episode of the classic "Bob and Conor Show" featuring Bob Ward and Conor Cunningham (@sqlconor).  There was a live episode of the Data Exposed show featuring Anna Hoffmann and a swarm of Microsoft SQL leaders, and more SQL 2022 content with Bob and Ajay Jagannathan (@AjayMSFT).  I got Bob Ward to sign my new copy of his SQL 2022 book, and then went to the Redgate lunch on learning and managing your career.  After lunch I saw Erik Darling (@erikdarlingdata) threaten to throw stickers at his audience while he demonstrated query plan gotchas and performance hacks, and then exposed my #LEGOSteveAtSummit to caffeine overload.  I wrapped up my session day learning about Upgrading SQL via Distributed Availability Groups from Stacey Kyrylova, and then went to the Exhibitors Reception for food and friends, where I won a copy of Kevin's book - signed by the author himself.

--

As an aside - Kevin was one of the first SQL "celebrities" I met in person long ago - at least more than 15 years ago - when he came to speak at our Omaha User Group.  He was in town on a job from what was then Quest Software and came to speak to our group while he was in town.  I remember being star-stuck to a degree - I used to read SQL Mag (remember SQL Mag?) and some blogs, but had never imagined actually talking to one of "those people" that wrote for the magazine - but I was also amazed at how *nice* Kevin was to everyone - he smiled at everybody and no question was stupid (even the stupid ones!)

That experience has shaped a lot of how I eventually ended up sharing in the community via blogging, speaking, and participating at events - the firm belief that we all should share what we know to make everyone better together.

Thanks, amigo!

--

It was an AWESOME day - what's going to happen tomorrow?


  























No comments:

Post a Comment